ADULT FAITH FORMATION
The passing on of our Catholic tradition depends on the witness of adults in continuing their own faith development. The quality of faith formation for children and youth is directly related to an adult community that is well-formed in the Catholic faith. Thus, our primary focus is on adult faith formation. Many adults long for a deeper personal experience of God and involvement in a community of faith. We provide opportunities to satisfy the spiritual hunger of adults and to talk about the importance of Jesus Christ in their lives.
Adult faith formation opportunities, including Bible studies, prayer groups, and learning sessions, are offered throughout the year. Childcare is usually available for adult faith formation events, as requested.
Contact: Teri Burns, Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation, 616-676-9111 (ext 115)
St Robert of Newminster Parish has a subscription to an exciting new online Catholic resource platform – FORMED.org – which offers
- 24/7 access to resources on the Catholic faith – anytime, anywhere via computer, tablet or smartphone
- Informative and inspiring teachings from renowned Catholic Speakers
- Multiple programs, including Adult Faith Formation, Marriage Enrichment, Scripture, Sacraments, Teen Discipleship, and much more!
It’s easy to get FORMED:
- Go to Formed.org
- Enter our Parish Code – 8PDHH9 (case sensitive)
- Create a personal account with your user name/email and password
- Start enjoying the best Catholic content all in one place!
Important: Do not sign up as an individual. Our parish access code provides more content than an individual subscription.
Contact: Teri Burns
Adults interested in learning more about the Bible and who want an opportunity to share their faith stories with others are invited to participate in a Bible study group. No previous experience is necessary to participate in any group. Materials are provided with your registration.
Sunday Scriptures Bible Study
Tuesday, 9:30-11:00 a.m., Room 202
This group reads and reflects on the Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday Eucharistic liturgy (Mass).
Contact: Tom Finazzi
Women’s Bible Study
Wednesday, 9:30-11 a.m., Room 202
The women’s group is currently exploring the book of Isaiah, which is quoted in the New Testament more often than any other Old Testament writing other than the Psalms.
The Great Adventure Bible Study
Wednesday, 9:30-11:30 a.m. OR 6:30-8:30 p.m., Room 201 (Door E, F)
In 2016-2017, this Bible study will explore Acts of the Apostles.
Peace Hour Prayer
Mondays, 6-7 p.m., Room 205
This is an opportunity for men and women to gather on a weekly basis for intercessory prayer, meditation, and reflection on the Scriptures.
Thursdays, 12-1 p.m., Room 205
Centering Prayer is a method of prayer to cultivate the development of Contemplative Prayer. Come from 12-12:30 p.m. for the practice of Centering Prayer, then you may choose to leave or stay to discuss the process of Centering Prayer with reflections from Open Mind, Open Heart by Thomas Keating.
Intercessory Prayer Chain Ministry
Join the Intercessory Prayer Team in praying for the prayers of the people of our parish and community, our nation, the world, and the special intentions of Pope Francis.
- To become an Intercessor, share your name, email, and phone number with SRNPrayer@StRobertChurch.org.
- Gather with other intercessors once per month for group prayer
- 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Second Thursday of the month: December 8, January 12, February 9, March 9
- Room 205
Theology on Tap for Young Adults (20s and 30s)
SIX PACK SERIES FOR YOUNG ADULTS
Dec. 7, 2016 @ Gravity Fr. Colin Mulhall
Full to the b-R-I-M (Relationship, Identity, Mission)
Jan. 4, 2017 @ Gravity Dr. Stephan Davis
Tolkien-Rings and Things
Feb. 1, 2017 @ Schnitz Ada Michael Renauer
Life after Youth Group
March 1, 2017 @ Gravity Dr. Stephan Davis
C.S. Lewis and the Planets
*Food and beverages will be available for purchase
That Man Is You – Spirit of Nazareth
Friday mornings, 6-7:30 a.m. in the Parish Life Center (Door G or H)
That Man Is You – Spirit of Nazareth is an interactive, multimedia men’s program focused upon the development of authentic male leadership. Through the Spirit of Nazareth, men will discover
- The true source of the struggles in the spiritual life and the time honored means for winning the spiritual battle.
- The practical means for developing a prayer life that puts you into communion with God so that you can discern is will in your life.
- A step-by-step guide to developing a “spiritual plan of life” that enables you to make true progress in your spiritual life.
- The grace being offered families to experience the love, peace and joy found within the Holy Family.
Sessions include continental breakfast and fellowship, group conversation, and DVD presentation.
Contact: Al Juarez
Women ALIVE (SRN Women’s Ministry)
Throughout the year, women of our parish and the larger community are invited to participate in events to help them be more Alive, Loving, Inspired, Vibrant, and Engaged. Events for 2016-2017 include
- December 6, 7-9 p.m. – The Christmas Guest with Mary Ellen Novakoski
- February 28, 7-9 p.m.
- April 25, 7-9 p.m.
Watch the bulletin and website for details. If you are interested in joining the Women ALIVE team, we’d love to have you help us plan and coordinate events!
Contact: Jolana Peard
Women’s Book Club
The Women’s Book Club meets every 6-8 weeks to discuss an agreed-upon novel or non-fiction book.
Contact: Teri Burns
SRN Grandparent Camp is an opportunity for grandparents to share their faith and create memories with their grandchildren (ages 8-12). Offered in late June, this three-day learning engages participants in breakfast, prayer, games, and crafts.
Contact: Jolana Peard
Marriage is not just a matter of love; it is also a matter of on-going development of your commitment to your spouse. It takes regular prayer and practice in self-less giving to make your marriage fruitful in God’s love and joy. Throughout 2016-2017, couples will be invited to spend time with their Beloved for a short video, conversation with other married couples, and dialogue with one another as a couple.
Beloved meets 4:15-5:45 p.m. on Sundays, Nov 13, Dec 18, Jan 22, Feb 19, March 19, May 7
Contact: Teri Burns
Check out these online resources, as well:
ADULT FAITH FORMATION ONLINE RESOURCES
Faith formation is a life-long process. In our tech-savvy world, there are a variety of web resources to help you enhance your spiritual growth.
The Diocese of Grand Rapids has partnered with Catholic Distance University in a Diocesan Subsidy Plan. This means that anyone can take a three week seminar or each workshop on the Catechism for $30. Click on the link above and go directly to the site for further instruction. All seminars provide hours for catechetical certification.
- Catholic Family Faith
- Catholic Information Center
- Catholic Distance University – Use Promo Code CDU16GRANDRAPID when registering to qualify for the $30 rate.
- Diocese of Grand Rapids
- Dominican Center at Marywood
- Faith Alive Books
- FAITH Grand Rapids magazine
- Ignatian Spirituality
- Loyola Press
- Our Sunday Visitor
- RTJ’s Creative Catechist
- Virtual Learning Community – Anyone in the Diocese of Grand Rapids can take a VLCFF course at the cost of $45/five-week course and $30/three-week seminar.
- Word on Fire