FAMILY FAITH FORMATION
Contact: Teri Burns, Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation, 616-676-9111 ext 115
Faith Formation Program Highlights
The information below highlights faith formation processes for children, young people, and families. As you discern your family’s faith development, we hope that one or more of these options will meet your needs. If you have any questions about any of the processes, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Faith Formation Office Phone: 616.676.9111 Email: email@example.com
Faith Formation Staff
Teri Burns, Pastoral Associate Faith Formation firstname.lastname@example.org ext 115
Karen Ottenweller, Little Disciples Ministries (age 3-K) email@example.com ext 132
Jolana Peard, Junior Disciples Ministries (Gr 1-5) firstname.lastname@example.org ext 123
TBD, Young Disciples Ministries (Gr 6-8) email@example.com ext 118
Michael Renauer, Teen Disciples Ministries (Gr 9-12) firstname.lastname@example.org ext 118
Nancy Chandler, Faith Formation Assistant email@example.com ext 114
ADULT FAITH FORMATION
Watch the bulletin and check the Adult Faith Formation tab at www.strobertchurch.org for opportunities, including
- That Man Is You
- Christian Initiation (R.C.I.A.)
- Women ALIVE
- O.W.L.S. (Older Wiser Lively Seniors)
- Women’s Book Club
- Summer Prayer Institute
BIBLE & OTHER ADULT FAITH FORMATION STUDIES
- Sunday Scriptures Reflections – Tuesdays, 9:30-11:00 AM – Read and reflect on the Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday Eucharistic liturgy (Mass); meets year-round
- Women’s Great Adventure Bible Study – Tuesdays, 9:30-11:00 AM – September through May
- Women’s Bible Study – Wednesdays, 9:30-11:30 AM – September through May
- The Great Adventure Continues – Wednesdays 9:30-11:30 AM or 6:30-8:30 PM –September through May
- The Bible Timeline – Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30 PM – September through May
BAPTISM: New and expecting parents are required to attend one baptism preparation session before scheduling their child’s Sacrament of Baptism.
HOLY COMMUNION AND RECONCILIATION: Students in second grade and older prepare for the celebration of the Sacraments of Holy Communion and Reconciliation. Learning takes place in weekly faith formation sessions, with at-home activities, and two one-day retreats.
CONFIRMATION: Students in eighth grade and older may prepare for the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF CHILDREN: Children ages 8-18 who have not been baptized are prepared for full initiation into the Catholic Church with the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Communion. They participate in weekly faith formation sessions at their grade level and participate in sacrament preparation sessions and the rites of the RCIA.
FORMATION OF CHILDREN, YOUNG PEOPLE & FAMILIES
LITTLE DISCIPLES (Sunday Preschool, Ages 3 to Kindergarten) develop an awareness of God’s presence and love in their lives, their families, their community, and the world around them.
- Sunday during the 9:00 am or 11:00 am Masses
JUNIOR DISCIPLES (Grades 1-5)
- Monday 5-6:15 pm – on site
- Monday 6:45-8 pm – on site
- Tuesday 5-6:15 pm – on site
- Virtual Learning on Google Classroom – placed in a Google Classroom
- Home Formation with access to virtual resources – individual online learning
- Grade 2 – GO SEEK FIND – Children engage in activities to discover and learn about their Catholic faith and journey toward encountering Jesus through the treasures that are the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist.
- Grades 1, 3, 4, 5 – DISCOVER! FINDING FAITH IN LIFE – Children learn best when they can be engaged on all levels—emotional, spiritual, and physical! This program is filled with exciting, energetic learning that will get kids out of their seats as they excitedly dive into the Bible and the teachings of the Church!
YOUNG DISCIPLES (Grades 6-8)
- Young Disciples Ministries (grades 6-8) – Sundays 4-5:30 p.m. – on site
- Confirmation preparation (grade 8 only) – Monthly, day and time TBD – on site
TEEN DISCIPLES (Grades 9-12)
- SLICE – Sundays 7-8:30 pm – This ministry supports and encourages high school youth to develop a deep personal relationship with Jesus Christ, family, and friends. It fosters involvement in church and community through prayer and worship, catechesis, service, and social activities.
- SMALL GROUP DISCUSSIONS – Thursdays 4-5:30 pm – Throughout the year we will have various groups on Thursdays. Last year we did a 12 week Bible Study, a discussion group on discernment and a group on finding hope during messy times. We will offer a variety of different 5-8 week sessions that will be decided by our youth leadership team.
SPECIAL NEEDS FAITH FORMATION Every effort is made to fully include all disciples with identified special needs. The information parents provide on the registration form helps us to accomplish this. Personalized resources will be developed and provided to fit the needs of each child.
- FAMILY-CENTERED “RETREAT” – This home-centered “retreat” format provides families with resources to pray together to grow in their relationship with God and one another.
- COMMUNITY SOCIAL EVENTS
- COMMUNITY PRAYER EXPERIENCES
- FAMILY SERVICE ACTIVITIES